Moving to Akron, OH
Life in Akron, OH
Akron, OH is located in Summit County with a population of around 198,314 people. Also known as the “Rubber Capital of the World” as it was a leader in rubber production from the early 19th century into the early 20th, you will find this area is full of rich history to learn about. If you are looking to move into Akron, OH here is a basic breakdown of what it is like to live here:
- Schools: Akron has always put a focus on bettering education. Akron was the first to create a uniformed public-school district so that all students were being taught the same thing. Known as the Akron School Law, this began the first school district that comprised of multiple elementary schools and established grades to put students in.
Soon the state of Ohio adopted this as well. Akron schools have continued to be a place to get a great education and they have some reputable universities as well. The University of Akron, established in 1870, offers college students many different options when it comes to undergraduate majors with over 200 of them.
- Cost of Living: The cost of living in Akron, OH is quite reasonable. The median home price averaging out at $81,400 which is below average. Overall the cost of living here is typically below the national average which means finding a new home and establishing a life here gives you the opportunity to have more cash in your pocket.
- Location: Most major cities in Ohio are only a 1-to-2-hour drive making it a great location to have access to them. Cleveland is less than an hour away while Columbus and Pittsburgh are both only 2 hours away.
- Climate: The weather in Akron, OH is what you will most likely expect in all of the Midwest. This area experiences all four seasons with summers that are warm but not unbearable and winters that can be fairly cold. You can expect to see some snow in the winter here as well, average snowfall is usually around 42 inches, so make sure to buy some snow boots and a good winter coat before making the move to Akron.
Places of Interest in Akron, OH
When looking for things to do in Akron, OH, you will find that there is no lack of places to expand your knowledge, get a bite to eat, or just enjoy the outdoors.
Here are some places of interest to keep on your radar in Akron, OH:
- Akron Art Museum: The Akron Art Museum is a great place for the whole family to enjoy a vast collection of different art exhibits including the art of many different mediums.
- Akron Zoo: Dating back to the early 1900s, the Akron Zoo spans over 77 acres filled with different animal exhibits and amenities. This is a great option for a short visit or an entire weekend day trip.
- Akron Children’s Museum: This is a great place to bring the kids and make learning fun in a playful, interactive environment that is a space created to be catered for them.
- Beau’s on the River: Beau’s on the River is a great option for date night with breathtaking views over the Cuyahoga Falls the atmosphere alone is worth it. It helps that the food too is just as good.
Why Move to Akron, OH?
Akron, OH is a great place to move to if you are looking for a smaller city with an affordable cost of living while still having access to places like Columbus or Cleveland. Though the city is smaller, you still have no lack of things to do here.
When looking to move in or around the Akron, OH area, choose Stevens Moving & Storage as your trusted, professional movers to make your moving process quick and stress-free. Give us a call today at (216) 587-1160 or fill out our free quote form.